As the holiday season approaches, homes across the state of Minnesota are lighting up with holiday decorations. All Tech Electric is ready to help keep your holiday bright, and safe! Here are a few safety tips from U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) about holiday lighting:
- Indoors or outside, use only lights that have been tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory, which indicates conformance with safety standards. Use only lights that have fused plugs.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets. Always replace burned-out bulbs promptly with the same wattage bulbs.
- Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord. Make sure the extension cord is rated for the intended use.
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
- Before using lights outdoors, check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use.
- Stay away from power or feeder lines leading from utility poles into older homes.
- Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house walls, or other firm supports to protect the lights from wind damage. Use only insulated staples to hold strings in place, not nails or tacks. Or, run strings of lights through hooks (available at hardware stores).
- Turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house. The lights could short out and start a fire.
- Use caution when removing outdoor holiday lights. Never pull or tug on lights – they could unravel and inadvertently wrap around power lines.
- Outdoor electric lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Portable outdoor GFCIs can be purchased where electrical supplies are sold.
A qualified All Tech Electric electrician can install GFCIs permanently to household circuits. All Tech Electric knows how important this season’s power needs are, and our 24/7 emergency service is dedicated to protecting your home or office from power failure. Providing on-site professional electrical services since 1987, All Tech Electric will keep your holiday warm and bright.
As the New Year approaches, All Tech Electric is here to provide professional services for new residential, commercial, or industrial projects. Call us at 651-303-8882, or contact us to learn more.